Composing Constructivist :)

Mississippi Hippie

36”x48” acrylic and gesso on canvas. April/May 24’. I wrote a poem for this painting, and I think I’ll continue to add a literary element to a lot of my work, if at least online, or somewhere. I would be able to write a paragraph on the school of thought, shapes, and colors in this painting, I would be able to for most of my work, I realize. The :) is part of the title in an auspicious sense.
IMG_4094.jpeg

I can be persnickety when it comes to abstracts. But this one hits my sweet spot. Love some geometric designs that aren't too cluttered, and good choice in color too.

I can be persnickety when it comes to abstracts. But this one hits my sweet spot. Love some geometric designs that aren't too cluttered, and good choice in color too.
persnickety ain’t always a bad thing! it took debate and asking people’s opinion to get to the finish, and I used some boxes, bowls, and bowl lids to get the shapes the way they are, doing that again, definitely. I wanted the colors to be bright and not to primary.

Neat. I love the two background colors, and I agree that simple geometric patterns offer balance and visual interest. Nice!

I'm not a critic of abstract as in "I know nothing!" This is lovely to look at and your blog is an excellent place to keep notes and poems along with the painting for a record/journal. My blog is mostly my journal and diary.

Neat. I love the two background colors, and I agree that simple geometric patterns offer balance and visual interest. Nice!
It took lots of consideration before the background colors were decided. The geometric patterns keeps the painting balanced, and it does add interest, it kind of can symbolize anything, too, symbols can have a lot of shapes, maybe all symbols have a shape, so the mood, feeling, moment, you could represent is limited by your imagination only..

I'm not a critic of abstract as in "I know nothing!" This is lovely to look at and your blog is an excellent place to keep notes and poems along with the painting for a record/journal. My blog is mostly my journal and diary.
That is an excellent suggestion, I need to use my blog more, and my website. I think you know something Jo ;) you have seen a lot of abstracts, and I bet you know more than you think, that being said, I learn something new everyday even if it’s something I’ve read 4 times before it’s like I learned something brand new, something I’ve never been able to say with the right words, it’s an experience..

I love that you're doing this--writing about the work/poems, etc. You used a shape in here that I use frequently, but it has some significance in pattern making, which is why it shows up in my work a lot. Therefore, I was attracted to this painting. :) Well done.

I love that you're doing this--writing about the work/poems, etc. You used a shape in here that I use frequently, but it has some significance in pattern making, which is why it shows up in my work a lot. Therefore, I was attracted to this painting. :) Well done.
I have been able to define a lot about art lately due to reading, writing, looking at paintings by other artists and come to figure out a lot about how to make certain shapes, specifically from drawing the negative space from this painting, the edges of shapes and the edge of the painting, which will be my next work.. I can come up with seemingly endless shapes from the negative space, positive space, overlapping shapes, the drawings I’ve come up with from them are very diverse..

Back