Scavenger Hunt from Life #112: Apr 25- May 3

Robin, nice sketch, Looks like a great place to sit and sketch...comfy seating. Ballpoint and colored pencil worked well.

Ned, thank you.

Ai, the fish dish looks yummy. I love the band in the gazebo.It must have been nice to hear the music. Hmmm...haircut time. Nice capture!

Jo, nice digital of the shed and the fence. Hope you got the trike stuff together for Gene.

The NYC Urban Sketchers went to the NY Botanical Gardens today, so that makes 2 weeks in a row for me.

6 - land - watercolors
IMG_5138.jpeg

7 - free space (lilac garden) - watercolors

IMG_5136.jpeg

Ai - that fish dish looks great ( the dish and your art! ), I like the bright colors with the band. The quick sketch at the barber is good!

Jo -- sketching with i-pad, nice "digi-sketch"! ha, yes my team won, and it was a very nice day to be there. It was a division II game at Sonoma State and they won even though the starter gave up 11 hits :)

Joan -- oh wow botanical gardens again. We have an arboretum nearby that I walk at sometimes, and Luther Burbank's home and his experiment farm have some great trees and plants, but I need to see if there's a botanical garden somewhere within a reasonable drive. I really love that first one, the tree and the foreground are spectacular!

Tomorrow is WPPD ( worldwide pinhole photography day ) and every year I devote the day to pinhole photography, so I'll be busy with that most of the day. I have something "ambitious" in mind... or crazy and might not work, but it will be fun to try... :)

Ned, thanks. We are lucky to have several botanical gardens & arboretums that are close enough to go to. This one in The Bronx is the biggest, but also the one farthest away. It took us about 1 1/2 hrs to get there because of traffic, but only 1 hr 10 min to get home. I got to be the driver this time, but I had the company of 2 good artist friends. Have a fun time taking part in WWPD. Hope you show us a few of your results.

Ai, fun repetitions of the Moai statue. Nice geometric shapes.

My plan for today was to meet a friend and sketch at a car show at a beach not too far from me. After sitting in traffic that barely moved for over an hour I abandoned that plan. I turned around and on my return passed Cedar Beach which surprisingly was open even though the season hadn't started yet. They had food, drinks, and live music. I sat on a railing and painted the dunes and the beach.
8 - fence - watercolors
9 - geometric posts and beams
10 - interesting shadow

IMG_5145.jpeg

After grabbing something to eat I sat down on a bench and had a view of the three people in front of me. The couple with the lady in the wheelchair kept dancing with each other, and with the seated woman. It made me smile.
11 - people - watercolors and ink

IMG_5143.jpeg

Joan: Thanks. Sorry for the traffic jam but glad that you found such nice location to relax and sketch... the dune came out nicely as well as the deck with people.

Ned, my first thought looking at your list is that you use to play the guessing game “20 Questions “.😎 first question was always “Is it animal, vegetable or mineral?”

Joan, enjoy looking at your shading. I can do that almost without thinking in graphite but in wc it eludes me. Great job on the wagon and rusty old car. Beautiful work on the trees. Love the beach scenes.

Jo, neat shadow. Cool lamp.

Robin, looks a very comfy place to curl up. Love the digi of the shed. Hope Gene gets a trike ride in.

Ai, hope it was as delicious as it looks. Tone getting a haircut is a neat quick pen sketch. Your cafes and eateries have cool stuff. Most of restaurants here are chains and decorations are mass produced and boring. Love the geometric head and the multiple sketches.

Hoping to get back into sketching on a regular basis as month ahead looks to have nothing but routine.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Fletch -- yep from "20 questions"!

My pinhole photo from yesterday will probably seem very weird, but it was a challenge to make the photo with a cardboard box, a pinhole, and a piece of photo paper ( I made a really really tiny pinhole! )

Ned's WPPD photo

Here's a more "normal" pinhole photo that I made in case the extreme close-up failed. This would be a good sketch subject too!
This one used instant film ( like "polaroid" film ). Back to drawing now :)

WPPD2024as.jpg

Ai, thanks for your comment!

Fletch, thanks! Hope you can sneak in some sketching into your routine.

Ned, love how you made your pinhole camera (and included a photo of it). How did you get the queen bee to pose for so long? lol I like that photo. The photo of the outdoor faucet is great!

Joan -- This all started about a year ago when I had the idea of trying to make a pinhole photo of the face of a honeybee or a bumblebee. I never found a dead one that was good enough to photograph, and I didn't want to kill one just for a photo. But when I find queen yellowjackets hibernating, I don't want them to make a nest in our yard..... so it ended up being a yellowjacket photo instead :)

Off for a walk, super windy here today but I'll carry my pocket sketchbook just in case...

Ned, I don't know if I would be going near a yellowjacket, even if it was hibernating. My hat is off to you!

I met my friend at the Planting Fields Arboretum again today. I wanted to capture the cherry blossom pink that was left on the trees. Now the rhodies there are starting to bloom, so that is some new color. I'm sure we'll go back as some of the other flowers start to bloom, especially in the walled garden.

12 - rhythmic pattern of trellises - watercolors

IMG_5152.jpeg

13 - free space - watercolors

IMG_5149.jpeg

Last edited:
Ned you have so much patience. I love the camera and the photos. Amazing and beautiful.

Joan, how nice to get out and find more flowering trees. Happy to see the new flowers, too. Nice archway. Beautiful......

Ned …thanks for sharing the pinhole pieces and description of the journey. The view from a pinhole camera has whole different feel to the world.…nice to see the diverse interests..

JoC nice digital the depth of it is entrancing

Joan - wow wee zowwee! Beautiful watercolors!

Ai- yes, what Fletch said about your cafe environment is so full of authentic life. Ours are pretty flat in comparison.

Fletch . Always enjoy your comments. Thanks .

Ai I was just wondering which comes first..the line work or color and your photo answered that. But both the line and color jive so well together, completeing each other…nothing stilted about it. SWEET SKETCHES

I got on here to look for search for results from “the zone” …now I will get the fountain pens…

THANKS EVERYONE

Ned, those are awesome photos. Yellowjacket.definitely looks mean and love how the water looks in faucet exposure. N

Joan, you are making me miss the rebirth feeling of doting up north. We get some flowers blooming but most everything stays green all year. You paintings are beautiful.

Robin, what is “the zone”?.

Ai, Jo, joe1, Jennie, lurkers 👋🏽

keep sketching
Fletch

Thanks everyone for kind words...Today I went to a Thai vintage shopping mall, famous for Thai food and sweets and thete are many tourists there too to come see the craft of Thai sweet making. Thus, the place has no place for me to sit and pull out my wc set to sketch...so I can only do lines there, while standing...

#5 repeated patterns ... a fruit smoothie shop
#6 free space ... a sweet maker man dropping tiny string of yolk to a brass wok full of syrup
20240501_121211.jpg

20240501_121323.jpg

20240501_120352.jpg

20240501_113503.jpg

I set up a plate of a famous Thai, summer food dish, called KhaoChae... I cut and carved 3 colors of peppers and arranged them to decorate the dish. The tiny flowers in the rice dish are edible.

#7 freespace#2 ... done in directwatercolor about 1 hr.

20240501_164112.jpg

20240501_163838.jpg

Ai, love the repeated pattern. Fun free space. Your meal makes me hungry as it is colorful and beautiful.
Hi everyone. Hope to sketch today. No muse in sight.

Decided to just go for it. I saw something yesterday about that, like no work gets done if you don't work at it.
On a wiped off paper, Uart, I think with assorted pastels.
Number 5 water, Number 6 potato and Number 7 tomato
9 x 12 inches

csshfl112potato.jpg

cspotato-setup.jpg

Ai, like the ink line sketches and photos. The KhaoChae looks colorful and yummy.

Jo, always love seeing one of your pastels. Always great.

Keep sketching
fletch

Joan -- those arboretum watercolors are great, love the blooms!

Ai -- the KhaoChae is wonderful! I had chirashi for dinner last night and I think it had those same flowers on it, but I didn't eat them because I wasn't sure they were for eating!

Jo -- yay! the water bottle looks especially good.

I have to go grocery shopping and a bunch of other chores. Will see how much energy I have when I get back... probably only enough for a short walk. Definitely way better, but still get tired too easily.

Back