Seaside Cliff

heatherlynelle

Ok...I am really struggling with this one. I could use some advice. I gave up and just signed it, but I am not happy with it. I have attached the reference and the oil pastel painting. Can you help me? Thanks!

Heather

Attachments

• 48a7c03f-1dd7-4745-9cc2-27d15c440999.png
    48a7c03f-1dd7-4745-9cc2-27d15c440999.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240309_143452.jpg
    20240309_143452.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 37
What are you trying to do that you need help with? I can suggest some things that work for me, but they might not fit what you intended.

What are you trying to do that you need help with? I can suggest some things that work for me, but they might not fit what you intended.
It just doesn't look right. I don't mind if it doesn't look just like the reference or more abstract but something is not right

The foreground is great but the sea/sky in the reference is more yellow orange with just a little pink.

If you don't mind me posting images on your thread I can show you where you need to apply the darks by using your image in black and white.

1.jpg

As you can see the one you are using for reference and yours side bya side .. the sky and wanter can get by .. you
nee a bit of darkin the far cliff to punch agains the whites and the bottom diagnol of the flowers down.
Here they are with me darkening the values in the photo of your painting.

2.jpg

as you can see I darkened the one spot on the rocks. You can add a few small ones if you will. I also did the whole of the bottom diagnol .. it now looks right .. I wouldn't worry too much about color. Get the values first and any color will work. Oh I forgot .. you missed an arm of the rocks which balances the ground to the water and horizontal line.
Gotta go now I got a hockey game to watch ... good luck.
3.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 39380
As you can see the one you are using for reference and yours side bya side .. the sky and wanter can get by .. you
nee a bit of darkin the far cliff to punch agains the whites and the bottom diagnol of the flowers down.
Here they are with me darkening the values in the photo of your painting.

View attachment 39381
as you can see I darkened the one spot on the rocks. You can add a few small ones if you will. I also did the whole of the bottom diagnol .. it now looks right .. I wouldn't worry too much about color. Get the values first and any color will work. Oh I forgot .. you missed an arm of the rocks which balances the ground to the water and horizontal line.
Gotta go now I got a hockey game to watch ... good luck.
View attachment 39384
Thanks so much!! This is really helpful. Enjoy your hockey.

My critique would be different. I can't make heads or tails of your painting because both the land and the sea/sky areas are far too fluid for the way I see the scene. It appears to me as though you were working with pouring technique or imitating that with a brush. But that's why I wasn't willing to criticize at first, because I don't know your vision for the piece. You may very well have wanted that fluid abstract look, which I would not have chosen.

We each see different changes to be made based on how we might envision the painting composition. Mine may be totally off for you.

To me the area that needs work is the sea/sky portion. In the photo their is value and color contrast that is lacking in what I see on my screen in your painting. Your Mileage May Vary, of course.

I agree with Bart, the cliff seemed fluid/flowing. I know you're working with oil pastels and once they get to a certain level of layering they can really start to glide over that paper!

I don't know what brand of OP's you're using, but layering is what they do so beautifully. Keeping Wayne's comments about values in mind, if you can always start with the hardest (usually the least expensive/student grade) brand you have. They are an oil medium, so the "fat over lean" rule that oil painters use applies here, too. You may have ended up with that flowing look by building layers of the same consistency of OP, and they can get away from you! :) So start your base sketch layer with a good hard OP (usually contain less wax/oil), and stick with those for another layer or two before reaching for your softer brand (more wax/oil). By then your soft ones should easily go over the nice hard base without disturbing your sketch lines. A sturdier painting should result.

You already have a lovely foreground here - nice job on those flowers! Great texture.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks! I will try that. I used only Aliferous OPs on this one! My son thought it was a mudslide. Ha! I have always struggled with rocks. I will press on though!

The first version was very nice, Heather, but this one is beautiful! I like how you changed the composition so we see more of how the water flows around the rocks. The sky color is more dramatic too and it works well with the flowered hillside below. Your hard work paid off!

I realize that a camera picks out blue too brightly, but the blue horizon line looks out of place with your other colors. I think if you blend it more into the sea beneath it, and add some of it to the cliff and rocks below, it will tie it all together and liven up the rocks.

I already used fixative on it. I see what you mean. I was told the horizon line wasn't defined enough before. I went overboard on it this time I guess.

Back