Stone Bridge

ams

There is something a little off with the perspective on this. The top of the bridge looks as if it is receding on the right side but the base feels as if it is coming forward. I had fun doing it anyway. Landscapes and scenes are not subjects I'm comfortable with but I like to try them anyway so I can get better.

20240416Sk8 Stone Bridge (WDE 4-12-24).png

Anne, this is gorgeous. Beautiful job on the bricks/rocks. I love it. I think If you bring the trees/bushes on the left a bit above the edge of the bridge it push the wall back. They sort of kiss at the moment.

Reactions: ams
Thanks Jo. I played around a little with the trees and bushes on the left but I think the real problem is the arch under the bridge. I made the curve symmetrical as if we were looking at it straight on but it should be a little off center because we are looking at it at an angle. I can't fix it on this one but I can be careful of it next time I have a similar project.

Anne, your inkwork is very nice. I am referring to the quality of your lines and the variations in your marks. You are absolutely correct about the error in perspective. There are also two other small errors: 1. from what appears to be your eye level, the top of the parapet would not be visible; you would only see the edge of the parapet, and 2. the height of the parapet in the sketch would be more on the right side of the sketch (since it is nearer to the viewer) than at the left side of the sketch.

I think all of this could be corrected (visually) if you decide to make the top row of bricks (or stones) darker, slightly adjusting the height in the process, and ensuring that the top of the parapet is not visible. I would suggest that you print a copy of your sketch and test out my suggestion before you do anything on the original sketch.

Your sketch is very attractive even as it is.

Anne, your inkwork is very nice. I am referring to the quality of your lines and the variations in your marks. You are absolutely correct about the error in perspective. There are also two other small errors: 1. from what appears to be your eye level, the top of the parapet would not be visible; you would only see the edge of the parapet, and 2. the height of the parapet in the sketch would be more on the right side of the sketch (since it is nearer to the viewer) than at the left side of the sketch.

I think all of this could be corrected (visually) if you decide to make the top row of bricks (or stones) darker, slightly adjusting the height in the process, and ensuring that the top of the parapet is not visible. I would suggest that you print a copy of your sketch and test out my suggestion before you do anything on the original sketch.

Your sketch is very attractive even as it is.
Thanks Balaji. You have some very good suggestions. I played around with it today in Art class and made a few improvements but I think your idea about the top row of rocks is an interesting one.

It is beautifully detailed, Anne. I think your problem with the perspective is because you have shown the top of the bricks/rocks on the left side of the top row. With that perspective on the arch, the tops really would not be seen at all. Love the detail. ❤️

Thanks Balaji. You have some very good suggestions. I played around with it today in Art class and made a few improvements but I think your idea about the top row of rocks is an interesting one.
Thanks Sno, I think you are right. I've learned a lot with this drawing and hopefully will make different mistakes next time! ;)

Back