Three-fer

Bartc

Out in the cold wind (but no rain, thankfully) at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco with our plein air group. Tulips were in bloom at the Queen Wilhelmina Windmill. I painted three: 3x5" ink on paper; 9x12" Neocolor II of the gardens; 9x12" gouache on paper.
GG windmill.jpg

tulips in bloom Neocolor 2 Mar 24.jpg

Windmill and tulips gouache Mar 24.jpg

Fun stuff!! I like your windmill sketch, it has a quirky quality to it.

Both the works in color turned out nicely. It may have been a windy day but you definitely got some work in. You must be very pleased from this outing!

Hi Bart,
It’s a nice time of year for tulips and very cool that you found a windmill as well! Reminds me of spring in Amsterdam.
Have a great season of plein air
Kyle

These are all great. What a nice place to spend a plein air day and have some nice results to take back home. Nice lines and colors.

Hi Bart,
It’s a nice time of year for tulips and very cool that you found a windmill as well! Reminds me of spring in Amsterdam.
Have a great season of plein air
Kyle
Kyle, Golden Gate Park actually has two large windmills. There's some history behind it, but I can't recall the story. The tulip garden surrounds only this one, but every year it puts on a dazzling display.

Kyle, Golden Gate Park actually has two large windmills. There's some history behind it, but I can't recall the story. The tulip garden surrounds only this one, but every year it puts on a dazzling display.
That is cool to know! I’ll bet it is nice this time of year. I have painted in San Francisco a couple of times but it’s been decades. Good memories!

Kyle, GG Park is always beautiful. Most folks don't know that it is almost all man-made, a horticultural creation on top of rolling sand dunes about 150 years ago. It is full of lovely enchanting spots, lots of activities, two excellent museums, and is as big as a small city. Even when crowded with cars parking along the roads, the land itself is uncrowded and open.
But the windmill is at the western edge across the road from the Pacific Ocean, the side that gets all the wind and fog first. And despite a respite from the rain that day, we were blown by strong cold winds.

Great work Bart! It's good to see some tulips in bloom - most of ours are only in bud just now. I love the windmill sketch.

Back