Animal And Wildlife Challenge April 2024

pcj

From Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England
Hello, and welcome to our monthly ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE.

On the first day of each month various photos and a reference subject
will be provided,

Please choose from the photos or the reference subject provided or both
to create an artwork in any medium.

You can use the photo’s or reference subject to create any kind of artwork that you like .
Please use only the photo’s or the reference subject provided.

Please post your artwork starting on the 15th day of the month [This is the 'Reveal Day ]

You can continue to post your artwork from the 15th until the end of the month.

- AND , if you wish, any WIP [works in progress] photo’s that you might have
taken while you were doing your artwork and any comments about it.

We hope you enjoy the challenge, we're looking forward to seeing you ! :)

I'm the host for this month.
Cheers
Patricia

The reference subject this month is : An animal in the mist.

...and the first 10 photo's.

tn_1.jpg

tn_2.jpg

tn_3.jpg

tn_4.jpg

tn_5.jpg

tn_6.jpg

tn_7.jpg

tn_8.jpg

tn_9.jpg

tn_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
and here's another 10 photo's .
Cheers,
Patricia

tn_11.jpg

tn_12.jpg

tn_13.jpg

tn_14.jpg

tn_15.jpg

tn_16.jpg

tn_17.jpg

tn_18.jpg

tn_19.jpg

tn_20.jpg

I have a little confession to make. One of these photo's is from a challenge
5 years ago - so I have already done the drawing !! :D
Cheers,
Patricia

Thanks for the great selection of photos Patricia! Is it the Koala? As I think Ive done that one before?

Reactions: pcj
Thanks for the great selection of photos Patricia! Is it the Koala? As I think Ive done that one before?
No, it's the rabbit leaning against the tree trunk. :)
I've done a koala before too but it was a different one.
Cheers,
Patricia

Thanks Viv and Joe. I'm glad you like them. :)
Cheers,
Patricia

Thanks Sanlynn. :)
Cheers,
Patricia

Those are great photos and I hope to do something small.

I have been away from forums and art for a few weeks. We were away on holiday for nearly two weeks, getting back late April 4th. Not only am I exhausted by the trip (which was very nice), I caught a cold from Jerry and feel even more tired. We just don’t sleep well away from home, and the seas (we were on a Southern Caribbean cruise) were exceptionally rough and noisy at night. After we left the home port of Baltimore, a bridge collapsed and we could not return there. So we had to dock in Norfolk, VA and take coaches to Baltimore.Those that flew were taken to airports. Rush hour traffic in Baltimore, then snow squalls in PA on windy mountain roads in darkness.There is so much to do and unpack; I loathe feeling disorganized.

Fantastic collection. The cow is calling me. Will try to at least get it started.

Those are great photos and I hope to do something small.

I have been away from forums and art for a few weeks. We were away on holiday for nearly two weeks, getting back late April 4th. Not only am I exhausted by the trip (which was very nice), I caught a cold from Jerry and feel even more tired. We just don’t sleep well away from home, and the seas (we were on a Southern Caribbean cruise) were exceptionally rough and noisy at night. After we left the home port of Baltimore, a bridge collapsed and we could not return there. So we had to dock in Norfolk, VA and take coaches to Baltimore.Those that flew were taken to airports. Rush hour traffic in Baltimore, then snow squalls in PA on windy mountain roads in darkness.There is so much to do and unpack; I loathe feeling disorganized.
Joy - We saw the Baltimore Bridge collapse on tv in New Zealand, how awful it was! Glad you werent caught up in the disaster,

Vivien - thank you! It was a few days after we left Baltimore, so we were at (a very rough) sea. A fellow passenger told us on the way to breakfast. Such a sad loss for the economy and those that died, although it could have been much worse. During the day, it would have been hundreds or thousands lost. We have sailed under it many times leaving Baltimore. All the ports were very nice, and at times one must put up with some inconveniences when traveling. I enjoy other cultures and sights so much, and hope to get to NZ someday. Quite a long flight!

Hullo everyone, it is the 15th April here in NZ today. Ive actually finished mine in time this month. Ive painted the rabbit in watercolor and watercolor pencils.
20240412_102330.jpg

Lovely painting Viv ! I love his expression.
Cheers,
Patricia

I did the koala, in ink and Graphitint pencils. The first version is before I added the color. It is in my Canson XL sketchbook, 7 x 10, 140CP. Still not sure what the benefit to using the Graphitint pencils over watercolor alone, as it seems more labor intensive. Certainly more practice with the inking would be beneficial, but I wanted to get something done for this challenge. Having a deadline can be beneficial, as it actually "forces" me to produce work. The downside to that is that I am not usually pleased with my work.

Koala-Ink.jpeg

Koala-Graphitint.jpeg

Very nice koala Joy.
Cheers,
Patricia

I actually did this drawing 5 years ago !
Black and white charcoal sticks and pencils on Canson's paper.
Cheers,
Patricia

tn_IMG_1875ccccc.jpg

Back