Scavenger Hunt #73 Jun 19- 27

M50Paull

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Bicycle
Teacup
Pineapple
Cat
Tree
Butterfly
Bookshelf
Guitar
Hot air balloon
Sailboat
Sunflower
Your Dog/Cat/Pet (partner acceptable)
Lighthouse
Mountain range
Castle or Building
Typewriter/PC
Waterfall
Owl
Beach scene
Vintage car/Vehicle
A local landmark
Cupcake
Dragonfly/Insect
Zoo Animal
Camera
Air Plane
Feel free to get creative and have fun with your sketches!

Paul, thanks for the list. I saw some sunflowers down by the restaurant we went to the other day. Maybe I will get there this week. We are having heat warnings, 100º F with feel like temps of 115 plus. Early for that, usually comes in late July. Sigh.... They are asking us all to keep our homes at 80º, our usual, but the folks don't like that that live at 72º. Hope the grid holds up! So many storms in other parts of the country. I feel for those that have lost it all along with family. Hard to start over.

Sketched at my stool in the living room with Micron 03 and watercolor in the Canson Mixed Media sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches about half a page.
Number 1 - dragonfly, it is too hot to go sketch the ones in the field so sketched this bronze/metal one we got in Angel Fire a few years ago, it is about 10 inches long.
csshfl73dragonfly.jpg

Paul - thanks for the new list.
Jo - yay dragon fly - good idea to sketch a figurine because the real dragonflies are flying too quickly.

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Bicycle
Teacup
Pineapple
Cat
Tree
Butterfly
Bookshelf
Guitar
Hot air balloon
Sailboat
Sunflower
Your Dog/Cat/Pet (partner acceptable)
Lighthouse
Mountain range
Castle or Building
Typewriter/PC
Waterfall
Owl
Beach scene
Vintage car/Vehicle
A local landmark
Cupcake
Dragonfly/Insect
Zoo Animal
Camera
Air Plane
Feel free to get creative and have fun with your sketches!
Thanks for a great list. I'll be earnestly trying to finish one. 😀

Paul, thanks for the new list.

Jo, hope the heat doesn't continue all week for you. How nice to have your own dragonfly!

1 - building - direct watercolor

IMG_2719.jpeg

Joan, excellent on the building with bonus flowers. Great direct watercolor.

EP, yep, taller paper required. Love the colors.

Jo, Joan, EP: Such a great start of this Hunt.

EP: Cool guitars, both versions.

Jo: Super delicate dragon fly.... Hope you can cope with the heat waves all right.

Joan: Wonderful flower basket in directwatercolor.

Pual: Thanks for the list.

Last edited:
Paul - Thanks for the list

Jo & Ai - You both remind me of Jeanne who seemed to have a collectible for virtually any hunt item, Seriously who but artist have dragonfly sculptures or miniature bicycles 😎

Joan -Like the flowers but spent time looking at window reflections and wood texture. 👍🏽

EP - Like them both but can see in first where you ran out of space for the head. Looks like you came close on the second one.

Keep sketching
Joe

EP, thanks. Nice job on the guitar. They needed to come up with "extend-a-page" so we can make the page taller when we need to with just a little stretching.

Jo, thank you.

Ai, thanks. That looks like a mouse-sized bike. Cute!

Joe, thanks for looking so carefully. :)

Hi MPaul - thanks for hosting....is the list based on some obscure something that only EP knows again???

Ai - cute bicycle, nice detailing and proportions too

EP Cool git-fiddle. I like the linieness especially on the neck adds an intriguing texture to look at

Joan - full baskets, wow! great detail , nice depth with the baskets, windows and the way back vegetation. like the teal and black window area....some how makes it feels like a window reflection plus a peek inside but if I look at the forms for themselves I don't really see that....my mind is just making an association but it's a nice association....

JoC - whimsical dragon fly to give us a good start

Hi, Robin! Thanks for your comment.

Still working on the 30 x 30 Direct Watercolor Challenge. Here is one from today at Lavender by the Bay.

2 - lavender (substitute for sunflower) - direct watercolor
3 - trees

IMG_2724.jpeg

Ha, Joe! I’ll post my dragonfly. I’m watching baseball so no posting. I did sketch a camera last night.

Robin, thanks.

Joan, nice you made it to the lavender fields. Beautiful. Like the fence.

Jo - thanks - and yes, taller paper required, indeed :)
Ai - thank you. Oooh wonky wheels on the colorful toy :)
Joe - thank you
Joan - thank you. Extend-a-page - yay! Oooh lavendar
Robin - thank you

Another study:

hunt73-01c.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:
I sketched at a local shopping mall that hosts desert animal showcase event.
#2 ... Zoo annimal -- iguana..mixed media... gray pen+wc
#3 ...Owl -- draw direct with waterbrush

1000014634.jpg

1000014619.jpg

1000014609.jpg

1000014600.jpg

1000014601.jpg

#4 sub. Hot air balloon with party balloons at a cafe

1000014632.jpg

Jo, thanks. The lavender field is so relaxing!

EP, love your guitar studies.

Ai, how fun that they have an exhibit of desert animals. Love the iguana!!! They are usually such cooperative animals to sketch.

Back