Animal And Wildlife Challenge November 2023

Joe, good work on your drawings. I also like the feeling of action you captured.

Sanlynn, nice quick sketch. I love working with watersoluable graphite too. Your touches of charcoal worked very well with it.

I just got back from a 14 day holiday and am rushing to catch up on everything. Will comment on great works by others later. My entry is a wee bit of a cheat, as I did this ref for another challenge last year. It is Graphitint on 90 # Hahnemühle tinted paper, A5 size.

IMG_0091.jpeg

Joy - Excellent drawing . I love his eyes.
Cheers,
Patricia

Christel, great work, as usual. Depiction of hair excellent.
Anne, you caught the images well.
Joe, horses are very difficult, and you did well Squirrel looks like the ones we have here.
Sandra, great sketch. Proportions are excellent. I find that paper to be a challenge; I will never buy it again.

Hello Everyone,

I posted this on page 1 but had no replies
so I'm reposting it here on page 2 to ensure that everyone sees it.

"I just want to let you know that we have run out of monthly hosts.
If anyone would like to host next month [December] or any of the months in 2024
please let me know here "

I've noticed a decrease in interest and participation in this challenge over the last few months
and am wondering whether it's time to end it .

Patricia

Viv - Lovely painting of the little koala.
Cheers,
Patricia

Thanks Patricia.
Sorry I can't Host at the moment, as I have no computer now and only posting by my phone. Please dont end these Challenges. We have 9 entries this month, so not too bad, when you see other Forums, on other Art Websites.

thanks for the nice words.
Joy, Vivien, wonderful job.

Patricia. for the challenge for the month of December, if volunteers are still needed, I can post, but I don't have original photos, but I can choose from free sites like Pixar.
I can put the post for November 30th. I prefer to put it a few hours before December, so you can see if it goes well.
If others have offered for December, I can b

Joe, that is all I do. I am not a photographer either so I select images from Pixabay or other copyright free site.

I can't host December since I am already hosting a couple of other events but I'll try to do some next year. I would like to see it continue.

One thing that sometimes happens to me is that I complete a painting earlier in the month and then forget all about it an it doesn't get posted. I know the tradition has been to have a "reveal day" but I was wondering if that is still the preference of the participants.

Last edited:
Viv, Joe, Anne.

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

I wanted to hear everyone's opinion because I've noticed that there have been fewer
participants , a big drop in offers to host and the monthly views have gone from over 2000
to 562 last month.

I really didn't want to end it but when there were no replies to my post on page one and
no replies to 2 previous posts in the A & W host schedule thread a few weeks ago, I began
to wonder .

So, again , thankyou very much for replying ! We'll keep the challenge going ! 😀

Joe - Thank you for offering to host December. Most hosts don't have original photo's
and get the photo's from public sites, I always get mine from Pixabay.
It's OK for you to post on Nov 30th.

Cheers,
Patricia

One thing that sometimes happens to me is that I complete a painting earlier in the month and then forget all about it an it doesn't get posted. I know the tradition has been to have a "reveal day" but I was wondering if that is still the preference of the participants.
👍 The same happens to me.

Let's take a vote on the 'Reveal Day'

I vote to keep it but change the date to the 15th of each month .

Cheers,
Patricia

thanks, I'll publish the post on the 30th, I like the Pixabay site.
as Anne and Moscatel said "One thing that sometimes happens to me is that I complete a painting earlier in the month and then forget all about it an it doesn't get posted".
I initially forgot about the drawing of the horses, I had done it on the 2nd, I think, the other drawings I'm usually doing in the second part of the month.
I'm starting to name the posts, posts for the 20 draw animal, but when I move them on the device the names disappear if I don't rewrite them. those from the last few months, however, I haven't saved on the computer yet, I should delete them from the iPad, if I don't delete them I'll run out of space, weeks ago I noticed that the written files, the PDFs (also files with notes and images of tutorials saved from the website or forum) had uninstalled them and put them on the drive, perhaps to save space

I also think that keeping it but for the 15th could be a good compromise
Happy Thanksgiving ,for those celebrating

Reactions: ams
I agree. Keeping a reveal date but changing it to the 15th is a good compromise and will help.

Anne, I would also like to keep it going. Apologies for being slower to post the past few months due to holidays we had booked two years in advance. They were both a fortnight each do we were away for a while. An incredible amount of planning went into these. (And we will probably be catching up on household items for the next two years!)

My personal preference would be to post any time of the month, rather than a specific reveal date. It can be cumbersome to keep track of multiple reveal dates on different threads and forums. It may encourage others to "check in" any time, as opposed to the reveal date only. I could host some months, but it is hard to commit in advance. If you need someone to step in a few days in advance, let me know. I just may not be able to finish a work of my own to post.

Sanlynn - love your koala!
Joy - beautiful work!
Vivien - great pen & wash!
Having a reveal date at the 15th gives us enough time to be creative.

Hello Everyone,

Thankyou for your replies re: Reveal Date.

The results are: 4 votes to keep the reveal date but change it to the 15th of each month.
1 vote to eliminate a reveal date altogether.

So -- we'll keep the reveal date but change it to the 15th of each month.

This will allow time to create your artwork [ but remember that the 15th is just the start date
to post your art - you can post it any time from the 15th to the end of the month - sometimes
my artwork has not been finished until the month is nearly over ! ]

Cheers,
Patricia

Back